Updated: Apr 9, 2019
Are you about to welcome your first fur-baby to your home? Congratulations and welcome to the world of being a dog parent! Besides getting ready for lots of snuggles, laughs, and fun, there are a number of steps you should take to ensure you are prepared to look after your new furry family member.
1. Set up your home. Before you pick up your new puppy or dog, be sure to set up your home so everything is in place before they arrive. This will ensure a smooth transition for everyone. A few items include setting up the crate or dog bed, putting up gates where dogs are not allowed, and checking that your backyard or garden is free of any gaps which your new pup could escape through.
2. Have food and treats ready. This might seem obvious but it’s worth mentioning! Make sure you’ve done your research and picked out the right food for your new buddy. If you’re getting a puppy, look for a food that is specifically designed for growing dogs. If you have adopted an older dog that you know has certain health issues, opt for food that addresses that problem whether it’s joint issues or weight management. Treats are also a good idea to have around so you can start to train and reward your pup right away.
3. Find a trusted veterinarian: One of your first tasks as a dog parent will be to visit the vet together. If a puppy is joining your home, you will need to get their vaccinations and also spayed/neutered. If you are adopting a dog, they should be up to date on all of their vaccinations but it’s not a bad idea to take them to the vet early on to get them set up at the clinic and speak to your veterinarian about general recommendations to put you on the right path to pet parenthood.
4. Shop for toys and supplies: Along with having a fresh supply of food and treats for your pooch, you may want to have some fun toys on hand for them! Check out our dog-tested and approved toys such as this dog rope toy sets or stuffing-less plush toys.
5. Practice patience: Welcoming a new dog to your home is an exciting but big change! Whether you’re bringing in a puppy or older dog, expect a few mistakes and messes along the way. Dogs are very good at reading energy so remaining calm and relaxed (even when Fido tears through the garbage!) will help both of you while creating a bond of trust and love. You may also consider enlisting a dog trainer to help establish good behavior right away and provide you with training tips.
We would love to be part of your transition into dog parenthood! Please visit 4legsfriend.com to read our blog and shop all of our products including collapsible dog bowls (perfect for walks and traveling!) and safety reflective vests. Join our online community over on Facebook so you don’t miss any news and updates